Oat Risotto with Butternut Squash & Lemon Recipe
- buy 2 to 4, save 5%
- buy 5 to 11, save 8%
- buy at least 12, save 10%
Pinhead Oat Risotto with Butternut Squash and Preserved Lemon Recipe
This dish has all the wonderful qualities of a classic Italian risotto, in addition to the Moroccan-inspired flavors of preserved lemon and cinnamon.
Try making this dish with vegetable broth for a sensational vegetarian meal.
1 preserved lemon
1 butternut squash (about 1-1/2 pound), peeled and seeded and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
4 tablespoon olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
1/2 cup uncooked Oatmeal of Alford
5 to 6 cups simmering broth (chicken or vegetable)
1 cinnamon stick
1/2 cup toasted pine nuts
1/2 cup golden raisins
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 475 degrees.
2. Spread squash in baking pan and toss with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Roast the squash for 15 minutes, or until tender.
3. Cut preserved lemon in half, remove seeds, and finely chop pulp and peel.
4. Bring broth to a boil, add cinnamon stick. Reduce heat and keep broth at a steady simmer.
5. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in skillet over medium heat, add chopped onions and cook until translucent. Add Oatmeal of Alford, stir to coat with oil and toast a bit, 2 to 3 minutes.
6. Add ½ cup simmering broth, stirring constantly, until broth is absorbed by the oats. Continue to add broth in ½ cup increments, allowing oats to absorb broth with each addition before adding more. The oat “risotto” is finished when the oats are tender but not mushy – approximately 30 minutes total cooking time.
7. Stir in cooked squash, preserved lemon, nuts, raisins, cinnamon and salt to taste. Toss to mix well and serve.