Asparagus with Blood Oranges & Leek Vinaigrette Recipe
This is a beautiful way to fix asparagus. The contrasting colors will liven up your table and your plate. Last time we made this dish, we added some regular oranges as well -- just to add some vibrant orange color to the mix.
The leek dressing is very tasty -- and can be used with other dishes as well. I love it over brown rice, white rice or quinoa.
1/3 cup leeks - white end only, finely diced
2 blood oranges - sliced
1 orange - sliced
zest from one blood orange
1-1/2 teaspoons apple balsamic
1/2 teaspoon Zinfandel vinegar
Chef's Pick olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
1-1/2 pounds fresh asparagus
1. Finely dice leek and place in a mixing bowl.
2. Juice half an orange, add apple balsamic and Zinfandel vinegar, and macerate together with leeks for 30 minutes.
3. Whisk in olive oil slowly, adding enough to make a vinaigrette. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Zest one blood orange and add to vinaigrette.
5. Slice oranges into rounds, and then cut away outside peel from each slice.
6. Prepare and steam asparagus until just done.
7. Place orange pieces/slices on serving platter, place aspargus speers on top, spoon on vinaigrette and serve.