Garbanzo Bean Soup Recipe
[Adapted from Marcella Hazan's book, Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking
, (Alfred A. Knopf, 1992).
A truly classic example of simple but delicious Italian cooking from the queen of Italian cooking herself
4 whole hard-neck garlic cloves - peeled
1/3 cup olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons dried rosemary leaves - crushed fine to a powder, or a small sprig of fresh rosemary
2/3 cup canned Italian plum tomatoes - cut up, with their juice
3/4 cup dried chick peas - soaked and cooked (see master bean recipe), or 2 1/4 cups canned chick peas - drained
1 cup homemade meat broth or 1 cup beef stock
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. 1. Put the garlic and olive oil in a large pot - large enough to accommodate all of the ingredients - and turn on the heat to medium. Sauté the garlic cloves until they turn a light nut brown, then remove them from the pan.
2. Add the crushed rosemary leaves or the fresh rosemary sprig, stir, then put in the cut-up tomatoes with their juice. Cook for about 20 to 25 minutes or until the oil floats free from the tomatoes.
3. Add the drained cooked or canned chick peas and cook for 5 minutes, stirring them thoroughly with the juices in the pan.
4. Add the broth or stock, cover, and adjust heat so that the soup bubbles at a steady, but moderate boil for 15 minutes.
4. Add salt and pepper to taste. Let the soup bubble uncovered for another minute, then serve immediately.
Yield: Serves 2-4
Category: italian, dinner, soup