Split Pea and Ham Soup Recipe
No need to sauté the vegetables - just throw everything into a pot!
• 1-1/2 cups dried split peas
• ½ medium onion, peeled and chopped
• 2 lg carrots, peeled and chopped
• 2 ribs celery, chopped
• 1 large garlic clove, peeled and minced
7 cups chicken broth or water, divided
• ½ cup uncooked barley
• Cooked chopped ham, to taste
• Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a stockpot, combine split peas, onion, carrot, celery, garlic and 6 cups broth, and bring to a boil.
2. Reduce heat to low, and simmer uncovered for 1 hour, stirring occasionally, adding water if necessary.
3. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, cook the barley and 1 cup water or broth for 40-60 minutes, or until barley is tender.
4. When the vegetables are done, puree in batches (optional - you can also just leave it as is, depending on your texture preference). Add the barley, ham, salt and pepper; heat on low until heated through.