Fusilli with Artichoke and Tomato Sauce Pasta Recipe
Fusilli with Artichoke and Tomato Sauce Recipe
This recipes was adapted from La Cucinna Italiana's Pasta Edition (September/October 2010). If you don't have or don't want to deal with fresh artichokes, you can use jarred ones. Since they are already cooked, you can add them a little later in the cooking process.
4 globe artichokes
5 tablespoons olive oil
2 ounces pancetta (or thick cut bacon)
1 medium onion - roughly cut
3 (14-ounce) cans of whole San Marzano tomatoes
Finely ground sea salt
1 pound fusilli or filei
1. Squeeze juice from lemon into a bowl of cold water, then drop lemon into water
2. Cut off artichoke stems and discard. Cut off top inch of 1 artichoke with a serrated knife. remove leaves by bending out until the leaves snap off. When you get to the leaves that are pale yellow with green tips, but off the tips and trim green, dark fibrous parts of the base and sides of the artichoke with a small, sharp knife. Cit lengthwise, and cut out purple leaves and fuzzly choke. Thinly slice and drop pieces into lemon water. Repeat with remaining chokes.
3. Heat oil in large skillet. Add pancetta and cook, stirring occasionally for about 3 minutes. Add onion and cook for 3 more minutes. Drain artichokes, and add to pan and stir to combine. Continue to cook stirring for another 5 minutes.
4. Add tomatoes and tomato juices, and 1 cup of water. Simmer, stirring occasionally to break up the tomatoes, until artichokes are tender and sauce is slightly thickened. About 35 minutes.
5. About 15 minutes before sauce is ready, bring large pot of salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook until al dente. Drain and transfer to large serving bowl. Stir 1/2 teaspoon of salt into sauce, then add sauce to pasta and toss to combine. Serve immediately.