Apple, Blue Cheese and Caramelized Onion Pizza Topping
Apple, Blue Cheese and Caramelized Onion Pizza Topping Recipe
This recipe was in the "all seasons" section of Kim O'Donnel' snew cookbook, The Meat Lover's Meatless Cookbook, Vegetarian Recipes Carnivores Will Devour".
As Kim says, this is a rich tapping to a pizza. The amount will top a 12 inch pizza easily. The flavor is a perfect combination of sweetness and richness.
2 tablespoons rice bran oil
1 tablespoon butter (or use oil only)
2 medium onions - cur in half through the root, and sliced thinly into half moons
1 teaspoon dried thyme, or one sprig fresh
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 large, firm not-too-juicy apple, peeled, quartered, and cut into 1/2 inch slices
needled from 1 sprig of fresh rosemary, chopped finely
1/3 cup of your favorite blue cheese (keep in fridge until ready to use
1/4 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano
1. Caramelize the onions: in a 10-inch skillet, heat the oil, and butter if using, over medium heat and add the onions. Stir in the thyme and allow the onions to shrink and sweeten. Cook over medium-low heat, occasionally stirring to keep from burning. In 30 minuted, the onions will gradually darken and soften. Stir in salt and turn off the heat. You'll have just about 1 cup of onion.
2. In a small bowl, combine the apples and rosemary, until well mixed.
3. To assemble the pizza, spread the onion on the surface of the pizza dough, until it is completely covered. Remove the blue cheese from the fridge and break into small pieces and "dot" the pizza.
4. Top the pizza with the apple mixture and drizzle with olive oil.
5. Place in the oven and bake as directed for the pizza dough recipe.
6. Garnish with Parmigiano-Reggiano just before serving.