Grilled Mustard Chicken with Fresh Corn Polenta Recipe
Grilled Mustard Chicken with Fresh Corn Polenta
Adapted from Bon Appetit, August 2010
If you love the taste of onion and mustard, then this is the grilled chicken for you. Easy to do, and so tasty.
The creamy polenta creates a nice, creamy bed to the chicken, and a wonderful way to both use up left-over corn-on-the-cob, and soak up the wonderfully mustardy juices of the chicken. If you use already cooked corn-on-the-cob, add the corn about 1 minute before the polenta is done.
ingredients - chicken:
6 green onions - finely chopped
1/4 dijon mustard
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 large clove garlic - pressed
6 large chicken thighs - bone in/skin on
ingredients - polenta:
5 cups water
1 cup course polenta
1-1/2 teaspoons sea salt
1 teaspoon super fine sugar
2 cups corn kernels - cut from fresh corn-on-the-cob (about 3 ears of corn)
1/2 cup mascarpone cheese
sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
directions - chicken
1. Whisk onion, mustard, lemon juice and garlic together in a medium bowl. Using hands, loosen chicken skin on each thigh, making sure to leave 1 side attached. Spoon half of the mustard mixture under the skin covering meat evenly as possible and dividing equally among thighs. Fold skin flap over to enclose mixture and secure skin with a metal pin.
2. Sprinkle thighs with salt and pepper on both sides of the thighs. Spread remaining mixture atop the thighs, spreading evenly. Transfer thighs to baking sheet. (Chicken can also be prepared up to 6 hours in advance, and stored covered in the fridge.
3. Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat) or preheat oven to 250-degrees. Brush grill rack generously with olive oil. Grill chicken until golden brown and cooked through, turning chicken occationally and moving to cooler spot on grill if browning too quickly - 40 to 50 minutes. Transfer grilled chicken to another baking sheet and keep warm in oven while preparing polenta.
directions - polenta
4. Bring 5 cups of water to boil in heavy large saucepan over high heat. Gradually whisk in polenta, then 1-1/2 teaspoons sea salt and sugar. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until polenta is tender, thick, and creamy - whisking often adjusting heat to maintain a gentle simmer - about 25 to 30 minutes. Add corn kernels and cook, stirring constantly, until corn is tender - about 5 minutes if corn is uncooked, about 1 minute if corn is pre-cooked.
5. Mix in mascarpone cheese, season with sea salt and pepper to taste.
6. Spoon polenta onto each page, top with grilled chicken thighs and serve.