Vanilla Rice Pudding with Orange Syrup
From La Cucina Italiana January/February issues 2011 find one at your local store
Arance con Riso dolce al latte e vaniglia
Vanilla Rice Pudding with Sweet Orange slices and Orange Syrup
3 -1/4 cups whole milk
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise, seeds scraped out and reserved
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
3/4 cup Arborio rice
4 medium to large navel oranges
1. In a medium saucepan, combine milk, 1 -1/2 cups water, 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, vanilla bean and seeds, and salt; bring to a boil.
2. Add rice, reduce to a gentle simmer and cook, stirring frequently until rice is tender and pudding is creamy, about 45 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, cut 2 oranges crosswise into 16 (1/4-inch thick) slices. Juice remaining 2 oranges; strain juice through a fine-mesh sieve (you should have at least 2/3 cup juice); set aside.
4. In a medium saucepan, combine orange slices, remaining 3/4 cup sugar and 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons water. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring constantly, for 15 minutes.
5. Using a slotted spoon, transfer orange slices to a large plate. Increase heat to high and bring syrup to a boil; cook until thickened, about 8 minutes more.
6. Remove from heat and whisk in 2/3 cups juice.
7. Serve rice pudding warm or at room temperature with orange slices and a drizzle of syrup.
Also consider a drop to a drizzle of Saba or Mosto.