(recipe source: adapted from Dailydelicious.com and goodcooking.com with minor changes)
1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1/4 cup fine granulated sugar
1/4 tsp Heilala vanilla extract
A pinch of salt
1 egg yolk
1 1/4 cup cake flour
20-30 Preserved cherry blossoms (Sakura)
Super fine sugar, for sprinkle on top of the cookies
1. Preheat the oven 400' F
2. Put the salted Sakura in a bowl, cover with enough water, leave it for 2hrs or more, to reduce the salt from the Sakura.
3. Drain the Sakura and discard the water. Also very lightly squeeze the water using finger.
4. Beat the butter with salt until soft, add the granulated sugar and beat unto light in color add the vanilla extract and egg yolk, beat to combine.
5. Pour the flour into the bowl, mix it well. Cover with plastic wrap and put in the fridge for 1 hour.
6. Line the baking sheet with baking non-stick paper or Silpat.
7. Roll the cookie dough until 3-4mm thickness, cut with cookie cutter.
8. Place on a prepared baking sheet, and put Preserved cherry blossoms on each cookie.
9. Reduce the oven temperature to 325' F.
10. Put the cookies into the oven and bake for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown, sprinkle with superfine sugar immediately.
11. Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 15 minutes then let it cool completely on a wire rack.