Middle-Eastern Tuna Salad with Tahini Dressing Recipe
A delicious salad from the Levant adapted from a recipe found in Gourmet magazine, many, many years ago.
in olive oil is a staple throughout the Mediterranean. If you have never tried it, it is worth a little extra to give it a taste. But be careful - you may never go back...
2 tablespoons Tarazi Tahini
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 large hard-neck garlic clove, minced and mashed to a paste with 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
1/8 teaspoon piment fort, or to taste
1/3 cup olive oil
3 cans (200 grams each), tuna packed in oil
drained and flaked
2 pounds onions, sliced thin
1/3 cup Essential Pantry Rice Bran Oil
1/3 cup pine nuts
1 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, plus parsley sprigs for garnish
6 to 8 pita loaves, quartered and opened into pockets
1. In a blender, blend the tahini, lemon juice, garlic paste, and piment fort. With the motor running, add 1/3 cup olive oil in a stream, blending until the dressing is emulsified; season the dressing with salt.
2. In a bowl, toss the tuna lightly with half the dressing and mound the mixture on a large platter.
3. In a large heavy skillet, cook the onions in 1/3 cup olive oil over low-moderate heat, stirring occasionally, for 50 minutes, or until they are golden brown. Season them with salt and pepper.
4. With a fork, scatter the onions over the tuna. In the skillet, cook the pine nuts over moderately low heat, stirring, until they are golden; scatter them over the onions.
5. Drizzle the salad with the remaining dressing and sprinkle it with the chopped parsley. Garnish the salad with the parsley sprigs and serve it with the pita pockets.