Grilled Avocado with Blueberry Mango Salsa Recipe
Grilled avocado is so good. If you use the big Reed Avocados, then half an avocado per person is more than enough. If you use Hass avocados, then two halves per person will work.
There are two keys to successfully grilling avocados. First, the fruit can not be overly ripe - if too ripe it won't hold it's shape on the grill. Second, make sure your grill is very clean. Also, make sure you have a good spatula available to gently scrap the avocado off the grill when done.
This recipes was originally adopted from Epicurious.com
2 large Reed Avocados, or 4 medium Hass avocados, just turning soft, not fully ripe
1/4 cup floral honey - like macadamia nut honey
1/4 cup olive oil
1 medium mango, peeled, pitted, and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1/2 pound blueberries (about 1 cup), washed and dried
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1/3 cup orange juice
tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon lemon zest
Leaves of lettuce, such as romaine or iceberg, to serve
1. Preheat a well-oiled grill to medium-high, about 300°F to 350°F.
2. Slice the avocados in half lengthwise, and carefully remove the pit; do not peel them. In a small bowl, mix the honey with the oil. Brush the avocado flesh with this mixture and cover with plastic wrap. Set aside in a cool place (do not refrigerate).
3. In a medium bowl, mix the mango and blueberries with the vinegar, orange juice, and lemon zest and lemon juice. Let the mixture rest for at least 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, so the flavors blend.
4. Grill the avocados by placing them skin side down on grill grates for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the skin begins to lightly char and take on grill marks. Brush the flesh side of the avocados again with the honey-oil mixture and place them, flesh side down, on the hot grill for another 2 or 3 minutes.
5. With a spatula, carefully remove the avocados from the grill and place them on a bed of lettuce on a serving plate, 1 half per person if Reed Avocados, 2 halves per person if Hass Avocados.
6. Fill the pit cavity with generous amount of mango-blueberry mixture and serve with a spoon.