Dipped Pistachio & Cherry Biscotti Recipe
Dark Chocolate Dipped Pistachio & Cherry Biscotti Recipe
A delicious cookie for the holidays or for every day! Or a perfect home-made holiday gift.
2 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup superfine sugar
2 teaspoons grated orange zest
1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup unsalted shelled pistachio nuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
1/2 cup dried tart cherries, coarsely chopped
6 ounce bittersweet chocolate, 4 ounces coarsely chopped, 2 ounces in large chunks
1 tablespoon toasted walnut oil
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Have ready another unlined baking sheet.
2. In a bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, and salt. In a food processor, combine the sugar and orange zest and process until finely chopped. Transfer the sugar mixture to a large bowl, add the butter and using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla. Reduce the mixer speed to low and gradually beat in the flour mixture just until blended. Using a rubber spatula, fold in the pistachios and dried cherries.
3. Divide the dough in half and place both portions on the parchment-lined baking sheet. Quickly form each half into a log 12 inches long and 2 inches in diameter. Place the logs at least 3 inches apart on the baking sheet and smooth them with dampened fingers.
4. Bake the logs, rotating the pan 180 degrees halfway through the baking time, until the logs begin to crack on top, about 35 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes. Leave the oven set at 350°F.
5. Transfer the logs to a cutting board and discard the parchment. Using a sharp, serrated knife, cut each log on the diagonal into slices 1/2 inch wide. Arrange the slices flat on the 2 unlined baking sheets. Bake until lightly browned on both sides, about 16 minutes. Let the cookies cool on the baking sheets on a wire rack. Arrange the cooled slices in neat rows on the sheets, each cookie barely touching the next.
6. While the biscotti are cooling, melt the 4 ounces chopped chocolate with the walnut oil in the top of a double boiler set over (but not touching) simmering water. Off the heat, add the remaining large chunks of chocolate and stir just until the mixture is barely warm. Remove any un-melted large chunks. At an angle, quickly dip one end of each cookie into the chocolate mixture, then return it to the baking sheet. Let stand until the chocolate is completely set, about 30 minutes.
4 dozen biscotti