Azerbaijan Garlic - Eggplant Dip Recipe
Azerbaijan Garlic-Eggplant Dip Recipe
This is a terrific party dip - and even those folks who swear they don't like eggplant will love it! Serve with crackers, bread or carrot sticks for scooping. It's also a good (and good for you) sandwich spread.
1 large eggplant
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion - minced
2 large carrots - grated
2 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
1 28-oz can tomatoes
1 head hardneck garlic - minced
juice from 1/2 of a lemon
1 teaspoon sugar
salt and pepper to taste
handful fresh parsley - chopped
1. Wash and peel the eggplant, and cut into 1-inch cubes. Sprinkle with coarse salt and allow to sit and sweat, letting the bitter juices drain out. After 30 minutes, squeeze cubes with paper towels.
2. Heat olive oil over medium heat, and saute onion and carrot together until lightly brown. Add eggplant and continue to saute for 5 more minutes.
3. Add coriander and tomatoes, stir well, and partially cover pot. Cook down over medium heat until eggplant is thoroughly soft, about 30 minutes.
4. In the last 5 minutes, uncover and add garlic, lemon juice, sugar and salt and pepper taste.
5. Serve cool or at room temperature, sprinkled with chopped parsley just before serving.